We're an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend. Some of the links on this website are affiliate links, which means that if you make a purchase after clicking them, we will be paid a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Some seniors love doing everything themselves instead of calling a maintenance man. Be it be cleaning gutters, or fixing leakages. And that is where safety step ladders for seniors is required.
Not all ladders are made equal. And in case of the elderly people, it is important to have the proper step ladders are safe to use.
Safety step ladders for seniors come with safety features like broad steps, anti-skid coating, and handrails and many other safety features.
Let us look into details of why these ladders are better than the conventional step ladders.
5 Best Step Ladder For Elderly
|Image||Name||Weight Capacity||Check Price|
|CharaHOME Portable Step Ladder||500 pounds|
|Little Giant 10410BA Safety Step Ladder||300 pounds|
|Little Giant Ladder Systems 11903 3-Step Jumbo||375 pounds|
|Cosco Worlds GreatestTM Work Platform||300 pounds|
|LivingSURE Folding Safety Step Ladder||300 pounds|
Why Should You Use Safety Step Ladders For Seniors Over
Although conventional ladders are cheaper, they are neither safe nor convenient to use. It is best to use safety step ladders for complete support, especially when older people are using it. Geriatrics have reduced balance and hand-leg-eye coordination than adults and youth.
It is imperative that they use only safety step ladders that make up for this.
The advantages of using safety step ladders for the elderly:
Safety step ladders for seniors are the safest to use and hence, are the best choice for old people.
They provide extra support due to the tetra-pedal rail system that prevents tilting, the spreader locker or crossbars that prevent spreading, anti-slip shoes that prevent sliding and locking springs to keep the different parts stationery while climbing.
Safety step ladders have more than usual handgrips and rails to hold while climbing. Most senior people lose their sense of balance and having more parts to grab onto is essential to prevent undue falling accidents.
The steps are especially wide and slip-resistant for sound footing.
The height between steps in safety step ladders is less than that in between rungs of conventional ladders.
The graduated jutting nature and greater width of the steps make sure that standing for a long time on these ladders are not uncomfortable, since aged people often have knee joint and leg ailments.
Safety step ladders for the aged ones almost always provide a tray or rung at the top to keep or hang items they are working with.
This frees them from needing to carry any extra burden and keeping their focus only on climbing safely.
Safety step ladders designed for older people usually add a safe carrying handle, so that elders do not have to lift up their whole weight while carrying them from one place to another.
5 Best Safety Step Ladders For Seniors
From the above guide, it is quite clear that buying a safe step ladder for the aged isn’t a job you can just do and be done with.
It is of utmost importance that caution is exercised at each step. However, having a reliably safe, stable and easy-to-use ladder to work with definitely makes the job easy.
Here are some safety step ladders that are certified to be safe for use by geriatrics.
This safety step ladder truly lives up to its name. It has every safety feature one could possibly ask for in a step ladder. This makes it a dream to work with, especially for the elderly.
It is light and portable, but also extremely sturdy and heavy-duty. This makes it an all-rounder in the segment of safety step ladders for seniors.
It has a sturdy steel frame that makes it durable and robust. Its anti-skid shoes at the bottom of all four rails keep it firmly placed when working.
It has wide 15 inch by 10.25-inch steps with an anti-slip covering that makes sure you can stand comfortably on them without fear of slipping.
It also has metal crossbars to prevent over-spreading and a lock system under the top step to lock the rails firmly into place while working. It has padded side grips for giving extra support while going up the steps.
The ladder gives a climber a 38-inch height boost over four steps, which means an old person would not have to over-reach to get to a high place. It has a heavy-duty rating and can withstand weights up to 500lbs.
The ladder also has an easy folding design, which, coupled with its lightweight makes it portable and easy to carry for an aged person.
An added feature is the attachable toolbag with multiple pouches that can be placed on the top rail, making it especially convenient for installation and repair jobs.
Overall Dimension: 20.9(L) x 32.7(W) x 61.8(H) inches
Folded Dimensions: 20.9(L) x 4(W) x 66.5(H) inches
Pedal Size: 15(L) x 10.25(W) inches
Height Difference between Pedals: 20.7 inches
Top Step Height: 38inches
Number of Steps: 4
Weight: 27.6 lbs.
Weight Capacity: 500 lbs
– It is lightweight, easy to maneuver and carry around.
– Its slim design and foldability aids in easy, space-economic storage.
– The sturdy, heavy-duty steel frame supports heavy weights quite easily without losing stability.
– The anti-slip feet and steps help avoid accidents to the maximum possible extent.
– The side rails are a great support for seniors who are not very confident about their balance while climbing or standing on the ladder.
– The metal crossbars and top step lock ensure that the person’s movements do not cause the ladder to fold on itself and cause anything fatal.
– When standing on the lower steps, it leaves little room to keep the legs straight, which is uncomfortable and inconvenient.
– The side rails require assembly; thus it is not ready-to-use.
– It can be a bit too steep for heavily built and shorter people.
This ladder is specially made for seniors who are still quite active and need a ladder to do different kinds of work, while not wanting to compromise on quality and safety.
The ladder sports exceptional maneuverability and can be folded in different ways for different jobs, making it extremely versatile.
It uses strong, lightweight aerospace-grade aluminum for its body, which makes its structure extremely sturdy and light at the same time.
It is a heavy-duty grade step ladder, that can carry up to 300lbs of weight. This makes it fit for household, commercial as well as industrial purposes.
Its steps are wide and made with treaded slip-resistant material on the top, that gives a sure foothold to the user.
Especially advantageous to older people is the top handrail, provided with a tray with variously, sized pockets and hanging grooves on the sides for keeping a large variety of objects.
This handrail can even be folded back to give a plain step ladder if so required, making it a most versatile ladder indeed.
It is very easy to move this ladder from one place to another, having Tip and Pull wheels, which makes it a charm to use by elderlies. Its anti-skid feet and spreader lock prevents wobbling during use.
It takes up very little space when folded, about 5.5 inches only in-depth. Thus one can tuck it easily and safely in closets.
Folded Dimensions: 55.5 x 23 x 5.5 inches
Height of top step: 35.25 inches
Height Difference between steps: 8.75 inches
Number of Steps: 4
Weight: 27.5 lbs
Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
– It is extremely sturdy and Heavy-duty, being of industrial grade.
– It is extremely safe to use, due to the reliable slip-resistant linings of the steps.
– The top tray is perfect for keeping tools and objects on while working.
– The steps are not steep, which is a boon for old persons.
– Transportation and storage are very easy, with the wheels and slim collapsible structure.
– The steps are wide, sturdy and provide sufficient foot room when in use.
– The folding parts are not very intuitive. The safety latches for the handrail and the folding steps are quite hard to move and operates a result.
– It is slightly bulky to use when fully opened, requiring on to put extra effort when moving it.
This is another winner from Little Giant. It is also an industrial grade with a maximum capacity of 375lbs. Made of aluminum, this step ladder is extremely light and easy to carry compared to others.
It has wide anti-slip shoes for the rails that make it especially useful to work around drains and grates.
It has wide steps that make standing on them for long periods a comfortable affair. The steps have deep treads to prevent slips as much as possible.
The steps fold vertically when the ladder is collapsed. This makes them take up very little storage space.
The top rail is provided with a versatile tray with numerous grooves suitable for keeping as well as hanging objects. It is extremely robust with sturdy connections between the parts, that makes it safe to use.
The spaciously spaced steps make it comfortable to stand and safe to turn on them, especially for seniors with limited mobility.
Folded Dimensions: 43 x 22 x 5 inches
Step Width: 8.5 inches
Opened Depth: 32 inches
Height of Top Step:26 inches
Number of Steps: 3
Weight: 16.09 lbs
Weight Capacity: 375 lbs
– It is extremely strong and has an ultra heavy duty rating, making it suitable for heavy work.
– It is lightweight and extremely easy to move around.
– The compact design makes storing this ladder hassle-free.
– The deep treading eliminates slipping risks to a large extent.
– The wide shoes provide great traction, make it suitable to use for outdoor work, especially around grates and drains.
– The connections are a bit tight and require effort to open fully.
– It has three steps only, which makes it unsuitable for reaching really high places.
This is ladder is of platform step, and thus perfect for those seniors who prefer to do most repairs and installations by themselves around the house.
It has a large dedicated tray for holding any sort of object necessary for your project.
Its folding mechanism is smooth and easy, with a one-hand lock and release mechanism. Thus any person of advanced age can easily open and fold it without putting in much effort.
It has three heavy-duty injection molded polypropylene resin steps marked with large thread treadings that give a secure foothold to the user. The top step is a large platform one, that gives extra foot support when working at heights.
It has a top rail for holding, that is provided with extra grooves for a secure hold. It is aluminum body gives it strength, with a 300 lbs heavy duty rating, and lightness, making it easy to carry around.
The slip-resistant shoes ensure that the ladder remains put when working. Its folded design helps store it in small places.
Overall Dimensions: 37.75 x 22.25 x 61.75 inches
Dimensions of Platform Step:16.25 x 16.25 inches
Height of Top Step: 30 inches
Number of Steps: 3
Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
– It has a large tray that can keep and hang a large number of objects, making it perfect for DIY projects.
– Folding is intuitive, easy and accomplished in a single action.
– It is really sturdy and can support large weights easily even on the to step.
– It is taller than most other safety step ladders, and thus, convenient for elders to reach tall places without needing to overreach.
– It is really well-balanced and secure and has a long life.
The lower steps are narrower than most safety step ladders for seniors, which can be a bit tricky to ascend.
The top rail is slanted along the line of the side rails, requiring one to slant the body forward for holding it.
A four-step ladder that really lasts, this one from LivingSURE has a durable and robust steel body that can support up to 300 lbs courtesy to its heavy-duty rating. It has secure, anti-skid shoes, anti-spread lock and crossbody bars that keep it securely immobile both on the ground and within its own body when working atop it.
Old folks will find the wide, treaded, anti-slip material covered steps especially beneficial in finding a stable footing while doing their projects.
Not only that, but the design also features padded side rails and a top rail that gives extra security through holding while climbing the steps and standing on them.
It has a sleek design making it easy to fit and work within tight corners. It is light and easy to carry making it the best choice for elderly people.
Overall Dimensions: 32 x 21 x 66 inches
Height of Top Step: 38.5 inches
Number of Steps: 4
Weight: 27.6 lbs
Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
It is quite slim in design and can easily be carried while folded.
The steps are really wide and give a large space for standing comfortably.
The handrails are really a great advantage to seniors for support, both to pull up while climbing and to hold while standing.
The four steps give enough height to reach ceilings at average height with ease.
The anti-skid feet, slip-resistant steps, and padding on the handrails provide good friction to prevent slips.
It is pretty sturdy and can carry large weights easily and reliably.
It is a bit on the heavy side, and especially difficult to move when fully open.
The latch locks are not entirely automatic and must be maneuvered for a perfect fit.
The handrails have to be separately attached and are therefore not ready-to-use.
How to Choose The Right Safety Step Ladders For Elderly?
When looking for a safety step ladder for old people, one must ensure that it fulfills certain extra criteria besides the usual ones, then when buying for younger people.
This is simply because aged people have greater safety and stability needs than young people. These criteria include:
Step ladders for seniors must have handrails on them. This will be helpful while they climb on the step ladder. Also, handrails are helpful while working on the ladder.
Choose only such a ladder that has anti-slip material reinforced steps and shoes. The steps should at least have deep grooves and treads for friction.
Make sure the steps are wide and don’t have too much space in between them. and have quite a bit of their width jutting out more than the step above.
Buy a ladder that has at least a top handrail, side handgrips as well as carrying space of some type.
Safety Standard – Ensure that the ladder has passed through rigorous tests and been issued a safety standard by a reliable organization.
How to Safely Use safety step ladders for seniors
In spite of being the safest for climbing purposes, safety step ladders to be used by elderly people do not entirely prevent slips.
This is primarily because of slower reflexes in senescent people. There can be other accidents too, not involving falls.
That is why it is of utmost importance that some precautions and safety measures are taken before using a safety step ladder.
- Before using any safety step ladder, examine it carefully for stability. Look especially for loose or missing screws, broken or cracked rails, steps or crossbars, stretched or cut springs and any other possible fault.
- Make sure the ladder is not being placed on slippery or uneven ground. Also, ascertain that the steps of the ladders themselves are not slippery or uneven due to some substance on them.
- Try to have someone nearby when climbing the ladder, either to provide extra support or be readily available to handle the situation in case of an accident.
- Avoid using the ladder right in front of closed doors, doorways or corners near-blind turns. If it is absolutely necessary, put up some sort of warning to prevent crashes.
- Do not climb the ladder until it is fully open and the rails and top steps are locked in place.
- Do not try to reach too far while standing on safety step ladders. Definitely avoid reaching for something in the back.
- Do not turn or move too fast while on the ladder. It could jerk the lock-free and cause the ladder to become unstable.
- If you are not confident about the anti-slip steps of the ladder, wear footwear with slip-resistant soles for extra safety.
- Never climb onto the topmost steps of the ladder as this is highly precarious both for ladder and user.
- Do not try to carry more weight onto the ladder than is specified by its duty rating. Also, make sure that the ladder is thoroughly tested and some safety standard has been awarded to it.
- Always keep a strong grip on the ladder. Three of your limbs must always be in contact with the ladder to keep your center of gravity close to that of the ladder. Don’t try to climb the ladder with too many objects for the same reason. It is better to make many trips and be more safe than sorry.
A ladder is an extremely important handy equipment to have around the house. It gives one great freedom in completing easy jobs around the house themselves without needing to call the maintenance man every time.
A ladder is even more useful if you are a senior living alone. It reduces your dependence on your neighbors in getting petty jobs like changing bulbs, dusting ceiling fans or cleaning gutters, done.
The above list covers the most common types of safety step ladders that people past their prime prefer to use and trust.
There is something for all types of purposes, including outdoor and indoor work, DIY projects, repair and installation work, paint jobs and so on.
The list also caters to seniors with different levels of mobility and stability, and the level of difficulty of the undertaken project.
It should be kept in mind that any safety step ladder for seniors when bought, must first be checked out for flaws and lose parts and tested for use by someone else before letting an elderly person use it. Make sure the ladder has a good safety standard rating.
Also, be extra careful while using a ladder with a metal body for doing electrical work. It is better to be safe than sorry, so exercise caution while climbing and using the ladder.
If at any point, the old person does not feel confident about himself/herself or on the ladder, he/she must refrain from using it.